View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by lostmyway View Post
So for now she just has me reading the BB from cover to cover.
That's kind of why I asked, lost. That's a great direction. Everyone interested in recovering from alcoholism should read the BB, cover to cover, at least a few times.

But so often, that's all a sponsor will suggest. It's not always their fault. For many, that's all they know how to do. That's what they did, and they stayed sober, and they passed on what has worked for them.

But for the alcoholic who is plagued with restlessness, irritability, and discontenment when not drinking (like you seem to be), reading the book is rarely sufficient. Self searching, leveling of our pride, confession of shortcomings (ie., the Steps) are what is required for recovery.

I know for me, time away from a drink was at least as miserable as drinking was. I didn't get better by days ticking by. I got better as the result of the Steps (actually better as result of spiritual awakening via the Steps, but that's splitting hairs). And the days just kind of ticked by all by themselves while I was busy in the solution.

Maybe somebody closer to your age would help. Or maybe just someone who is more engaged in the solution offerred by AA. I didn't like my first sponsor very much. We didn't have much in common. But he knew how to work the program, and I was hopeless. That was all that mattered to me. He knew how to help me have my own experience. I grew to love the guy dearly, but it sure wasn't that way at the start.