View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jlew35

Vicodin Addition...how to handle this

Greetings:

In November, I met a woman at work that was strickly a friendship thing. She was my work flow coordinator and I talked to her over the phone everyday. (I work for comcast and she booked my jobs for me) Eventually, we got together and everything had been going great until last week when
she started to pull away a bit and I figured that she was growing tired of the committed relationship that we had formed and I braced myself for a breakup only planning to ask her what went wrong. Well Saturday night I went out with my friends and I thought that she had gone out with hers. About midnight I decided I was drunk enough and sent her a text (we had been texting the whole night back and forth) asking her if she was staying at her friends and not to drink and drive.

She tells me that she is already home and from the way she was talking I knew something was wrong. I asked her if she wanted to tell me about it, to which she replied that she did not right now, but she really would like me to come over. So I went over there and as soon as I layed in bed with her, she started to cry.

I knew right then and there, that something was seriously wrong and I tell her that I have so much I want to say to her, but I don't know how to say it. She says I need to speak first and she then tells me that for the last year, she's been addicted to vicodin. Now I knew she took them because she has cronic back pain as well as constant migraines but she has a prescription for them so I thought nothing of it. She tells me though that she's been getting even more of them and that its starting to ruin her. She also tells me that she's up to about 15 pills a day. She's also scared ******** that I'm going to leave her over this. I don't need to explain our relationship, but I'll leave it as its probably the most comfortable, even sided relationship that I've ever been in.

I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to leave her at this point in time, but what scares me is that the person I got to know may not be the real her. I've also made up my mind to be there for her, but thats where I'm lost at. How much help do I give her? How much can I push her? Should I even push her at all? She is the one who came out about this and even told her mother about it hours before she told me about it. Our relationship is a only just over a month old which does not allow me much room to push her if she needs the push.

What I'm really asking for is have any of you ever been through vicodin addiction? What should I expect? What ways can I let her lean against me for support and what should I stand back at and let her keep her own support. Thanks for reading this and whatever ideas you guys have, I would be happy to read them. Most of all, thanks for listening. I can't tell anyone else about this and I really want some advice.