View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
joedris

A hectic work schedule is a good way to take away your drinking time, but what happens if you don't have the job anymore? Got a plan for that little contingency? There are two parts to successful recovery. The first is abstinence. That's physical sobriety. The second is developing emotional sobriety. And it's that emotional sobriety that keeps us from drinking. You're abstinent and you're using your job to keep you that way. You're going to need a lot more than that for the long haul, my man.

You've been around here long enough to know about AA, and I strongly suggest you try it. Yeah, I know all about your busy schedule. I owned a restaurant for 17 years and worked more hours than you put in. But I was always able to find an hour here and there during the week to go to a meeting, and I was always able to find meetings that fit my 90 hr work week schedule. I know AA isn't for everyone, but it works for millions of people and might work for you, too. But the important thing here is to stop using your work schedule to keep you sober. You need a better plan.