Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
BrotherIsLoser

First, I will start with saying that I am actively looking for a new place to stay in southern California, and since I lived there once before, it makes me a little excited to think about. Also, tonight I was reading an article online about how some 20 year old Australian watched his father die from cancer. He & his sister receieved the house and inheritance money. The article stated that the son spent $28,000 in just 4 months on weed alone. This sickens me immensely and I do not want to watch something similar happen to my own parents.

Lenina: I'm in a crappy living situation and I should be able to change my circumstances without having to move out, but sadly, your words do seem to hold truth. I believe I should be able to change my situation, however, I am considering attempting to push my parents into reconsidering / dealing with the problem child instead of just living this way (This would be my final attempt before moving out). I'm currently thinking about showing them something I read on this very website about how an addict is all about themselves and doesn't care what others want (one of the stickies I saw awhile ago). Additionally, I thought it would be a good idea to show them some facts about marijuana (that I could lookup at some medical credible websites). Lastly, I would finish off with a brief list of all the people who have died in direct relation to drug use. Does this seem like a good plan?

CrackQuack:

Actually, I will start with mentioning the fact my brother (a few years ago) was already arrested for drunk driving. My parents of course bailed him out, paid for everything, and he went to jail for the weekend. His driver's license was revoked and I was the one forced to drive him around to all of his various worthless endeavors - drug deals, late night drinking parties, impromptu concerts where the cops were called on us, and other random things. To this day, he is still without a driver's license.

As for having an actual conversation with him expressing my concerns is out of the question. He doesn't have the ability to communicate effectively with others; he lacks logic and reasoning skills. He will see any attempts as an attack and it will just involve his bitching and yelling with a bunch of nonsense mixed in. He is not easy to deal with.

As for your "never give up" attitude, to that I say, why even bother caring when he doesn't even care about himself?

I believe I mentioned this before - he has sought help, but when given it, he doesn't do anything with it. Why would someone try to get help and then just not accept it?

I disagree completely about addiction. You seem to believe it is about having no control. However, does an addict not willfuly pick up that beer bottle? Joint? Needle? etc. Each and every time a choice is made - use.

Tyler: I came here to vent, obtain insights, learn, and most importantly to figure out what I should do about my situation.

I am not overreacting. He smells like weed. His friend smells like weed. His room (actually the living room that is never used as one) smells like weed too. He smokes with the door ajar and/or very close to my window. Tonight alone he and his friend smoked 4 times that I know of, in addition to morning and afternoon. My throat feels sore - some kind of weird burning censation that I never felt before. These are all facts.

Additionally, I will add that California, where I live, we have pretty much banned smoking everywhere because as common knowledge - smoke doesn't just affect the smoker, but smoke travels and interferes with others' lives. Even recently you may have seen an ad on tv talking about how children develop asthma due to second hand smoke coming into their living quarters. Unless the smoke is 100% contained, chances are it's in someone else's lungs too.