View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
onesidezero512

Originally Posted by Safira View Post
Soberinwpg:

I DO know why I've started drinking again, but I don't know why my trigger is what it is.

I'm working on my Master's degree these days, and I have to say that as my coursework got more difficult, the urge to drink reemerged. There's something about working so hard in college that makes me want to drink after a major success in school. I work hard and I get As, and then...I want to drink until my over-strained brain buzzes peacefully.

Being back in school has been stressful and rewarding, and it is definitely my trigger to want to drink again. I know that. My mind seeks alcohol to balance out the schoolwork. I don't know why that is, or how it works, but it's true.

There has to be a better way to relax that is equally rewarding. I need to find one, pronto. I'm halfway to my degree now, and the urge to drink (and smoke cigs) is HUGE within me after I finish every project and research paper...
WELCOME SAFIRA!! Its great your are recognizing the problem.... I can so relate to you on the school thing. I too am attending college and have found it hard to resist the drink after I work so hard and pull all nighters. We really have no way to reward ourselves but to go out and drink!! But here is the catch! Are we really rewarding ourselves by going out and damaging our bodies, because thats what drinking that first drink does to us. The first drink is the same as the 15th to an alcoholic. Alcohol triggers your brain like an allergy and you want more, because after the first drink you end up chasing that high until you black out! Now you may not be experiencing that yet and may be hard headed about it! But it did happen to me! I started out drinking at night hiding it by the computer and stuff. Then I would sneak drinks as well around friends! I had a problem and didn't and couldn't admit it! A closet drunk is so lonely and depressing! I hated being one. But life is so much rewarding after you admit it. It's almost like closure and you understand! Your reward for all your hard work should be the MASTERS that you will be getting... because atleast you are still in school and working towards something. There are some people who are recovered alcoholics who have nothing because their disease over took them. Just don't let it happen to you! THIS SITE HAS BEEN A BLESSING FOR ME!.. Im a college student who is always at school work or studying and when I cant make the meetings I come on here and preach what I know or have learned being 25 years old. I'm still learning and will always be learning!

Much Love
Justin