Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

I first realized I had a problem when I was 18 years old. I put myself into treatment 4 months after I graduated from high school. I spent about a month in treatment but when I got out, I let pressure from my "friends" get to me and picked up not too long afterwards. I also didn't seek out any support, I thought I could do it alone. What did this thinking get me? Exactly 25 more years of pain and misery.

I have to say that I'm very impressed at your determination and wisdom, PurpleAshes, as well as the others who are newer in Recovery. I remember how hard it was when my "friends" were going out partying and I couldn't go with them. . . . I thought my life was over. I sat at home feeling sorry for myself. I didn't go to any Meetings as suggested, which was a huge mistake. I highly encourage you to find local AA Meetings, especially Newcomers Meetings. You'll find not only others who are new in Recovery, but people with a good amt of time under their belts who are there to share their experience, strength and hope. Get phone numbers of members of other women, call one of those phone numbers every day so when you're going through a rough time, it's easier to call them.

You'll find that people in AA will be more supportive than you can ever imagine. Yes, SR is a fantastic support system, but having f2f (face to face) support is vital. There were many times where out of nowhere the urge to drink would hit and I could call one of my friends in AA at any hour, day or night, and they knew exactly what I was going through. Your "friends" who pressure you to go out partying with them obviously aren't true friends. Alcoholism is a disease, just like Cancer or Diabetes. If you were Diabetic, would they encourage you to eat foods that could harm you? If you had lung Cancer, would they buy you a pack of cigarettes? Many people don't realize that just because they can go out and have a few drinks and stop there, it doesn't mean we can.

As far as the doubters, with each day that goes by that you don't drink is another day for them to see that you are serious. We didn't get to this point overnight, so it's going to take time for us to show the people we love that we're serious. I bounced in and out of treatment and clean time for 25 years and each time I got clean I told them that this was it, I'm done. They'd heard that so many times so the last time I got out of detox, they had every reason not to believe me. Your attitude and outlook, along with each day that passes that you stay sober will show them. Actions speak louder than words.

Just take it One Day at A Time, sometimes one hour at a time, one minute at a time. You'll find a great deal of support on here so keep sharing as much as you feel comfortable with and as often as you like. There is a great deal of love and support here.

God Bless,
Judy