View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CrackQuack

Thanks all. That really does help. I think I did, partially, rush to judgement, thinking he was just dragging his heels a bit. Mostly because his first answer was he only knew me a year (and my BS meter went off, I knew there was more to it).
I wouldn't really mind if he came on SR, actually. He's really just an outstanding person and I know he'd respect my privacy if I asked him not to read my posts (but knowing me, I would allow him, after all, I have nothing to hide). I think I will make the al-anon or Nar-anon suggestion. I really got this one:
I personally think it is great that he is open and honest with you about his thoughts...Doesn't sound like he is waiting for you to fail...rather that he loves you enough to want you to have the time you need to focus just on you and recovery.
It really kind drives it home what he, most likely, is saying. And yeah, why mess up such a good thing. It took me a year to fall in love with him (usually I go quickly, but the XABF really scared me into a shell), and I really am willing to wait. I just know we're meant to be. All the circumstances that led to us meeting and getting together. I just had a great feeling about him. I usually do the background check thing (since 2000 and don't apologize for it! I ain't a safety queen, but I do have children) and I did not for him. However, my second husband (nosey dill pickle) was more than happy to do it and was sorely disappointed when he told me that my boyfriend comes back so clean, he could work in his section (top secret junk at WPAFB, I can't even talk about it and had to get clearance, as well, when we were married, I get the super duper life, don't I? hahahahaha), and probably higher.. hahaha.. He has hated every man I've dated since we broke up. The first one had some major traffic junk (work related accident, company vehicle, he turned and had an accident), the second one (and the one that introduced me to crack) had felonies for theft and meth charges, plus a bunch of misdomeaners. I should have known. LOL. But this guy. Ya know what he's got? A parking ticket from 1991. Now, he's had his fair share of bad boy play. But we're talking he said he was a weekend warrior. Did the whole smoke pot and drink beer. Toot some coke once in a while. Took a couple pills, qualudes? IDK how to spell it, but it's junk that was long gone before my time. Anyway, he knows what it's like to use, but everything he did, he put right back down. So abuse it quite foreign to him. He's not touched a single thing, other than a couple beers, with his burger, now and again, since he was in his late 20's. He even copped to trying crack (I guess it was called freebasing or smoking cocaine then?), but hated the buzz. I told him it's a relief it didn't get him, because I could not go through another relationship like that.
I do kind of have some experience with living with an addict, but I was so wrapped up in my own addiction, I just didn't pay as much attention to the horrors we can do to our SO's. I should, sometime, when I am ready, really reflect on how poorly I was treated. All the name calling, the nights of not coming home. Begging me to cash checks or begging for cash. Telling me those women were just friends and he didn't DO them (yeah, I am that stupid, that's why they naked in the hot tub, ooookkkkaaay! LOL). How he paraded me around his parents because, at the time, I was a very sweet, loving, and caring young lady who was very presentable to his parents. I don't come from really rich background, but I got a trustfund (now, thanks to my father- another long story). I have education, or at least can act like I do. Very well kept. All that crazy junk, but I figure he couldn't handle it all and ya know, misery loves company.. *shudders* Enough of the ex..
Jeff, that's his name, is just an outstanding individual, that has a light that shines so bright, I gotta wear shades. I told him, if things do progress to where we do get married, Beyonce's HALO will be played at our wedding/reception. He hates pop, R&B, and all that. But HALO played the night we met, it's his ring tone (nah, I ain't crazy!), and I just think of him every time I hear it (Hey, I can hear it a lot, I gots the CD!- I got it for my 3 months anniversary gift!).
It can sometimes not help that I will make a joke, now and again, like hey for my one year, let's go get drunk! And say just kidding, because I am. Or when they bust a meth lab or pot house, I go "Dang it, they found my stash." Closer friends know that's my sense of humor, but I think it might worry him a bit. IDK. I feel so comfortable around him, I let my whole self out. And part of it is my humor to poke a little fun at the situation I got myself into with crack cocaine.
I also just think that sometimes, I DO think I am hot stuff for going so long without smoking crack (hey, there was a point I thought I'd never quit, so my ego swells every day that goes by), and do forget it's still considered early recovery. So much can happen, and yea.. ONE day at a time. I like that.
Thanks so much y'all. Especially for not going "HE SHOULD RUN YOU CRAZY ADDICT NUT! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!" Which, I can guess, more than a few would love to say. But thank you for not.. I appreciate that.
And thank you, so much for the congrats. Of course, this does mean my ego will swell a bit more, but ahhh, well...