View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
augustwest
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing View Post
"Taking what i read/practice in meditation to my daily life is what i'm attempting to do. One exercise in Pema's book that i'm using is to pause and take 3 breaths to become present before i drive, log onto my computer at work, answer the phone, etc.. Especially when i find stress or resentment, anger, come up during the day i attempt to pause, breathe, become present, let go. Let the thoughts cravings die a natural death without giving more life to them. I can honsetly say it's working when i choose to do this, but it's difficult to remember or be willing to pause rather than to get hooked into thought patterns."

This is awesome August, thank you so much for sharing.
Hoping I can remember to do this just once today, I'll get back to you
Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
That 3 breath pause sounds like the key moment one would want to focus on.
I mean for certain people drinking seems to be sparked at a particular time each day. Probably for most when they finish work or family duties for the day
and they feel, "It's my time now!" I'm at the stage where I can consciously anticipate that moment, sit and watch my mind ponder buying a drink, taking the 3 breaths, understanding it's not going to do anything and sometimes NOT
but sometimes buying the first drink. SOmetimes I think, I'm on the edge I can go either way and when I don't, I'm like< YEEEEAAAAAY! I made it.

But when I do I have the two and stop. Start drinking tea. I agree this moment where spark meets flame has to be reflected upon, needs to be recognized before one can 3 breath pause, and lastly it needs to be SEEN
that going thru with the act is not going to do anything to help matters.

3 phases for me and just recognizing it took the most time.

The technique is very powerful and most importantly IT WORKS! For me i have to pause, then let go. I simply cannot allow myself to indulge my cravings for alcohol/drugs because i know from longtime experience that just one will lead be back to the horrible depravity of a junkie's life. But the key is that whateever works for each person!

This technique works great for stress, anger, and resentments. For me, those things trigger the drug taking pattern of thought/behavior, and they're generally unhealthy too.

Nice to see you back unbrokenchain. We didn't meet before but i read your post about leaving. Are you a grateful dead fan btw? Your screenname would lead one to believe so, as would mine!

namaste