View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
spinner

Originally Posted by KeepPedaling View Post
Spinner, how long did your moments of thinking "oh he's finally got it together" last?
My moments of thinking he'd gotten things together sometimes lasted a few weeks, until some other crisis happened. The latest was last fall when he filed 10 years of tax returns he had neglected. I made the mistake of taking him back then, until some other crisis erupted.

I remember when we first started going out that he never seemed to be able to relax. He could never sit down at the end of a day and says "Ahhh. What a good day" and enjoy the sunset. There was always some crisis hanging over his head (taxes, work to do, health matters). Now I realize that's just how he is all the time. I can't live with that.

Originally Posted by KeepPedaling View Post
What was his longest time sober? How long did he drink? My xabf drank for about 15 years I guess. Long time. I can't really fathom the idea of spending so much of my life intoxicated. I wonder if they've ever done a more specific study of recovery rates, like the recovery rates based on years of drinking (for example: 3 year active alcoholics recovery rate is 50%; 15 years is 20% etc).
My ex drank from the age of 15 to 50. He's been sober now for almost 3 years. I've only know him for almost 5 years so I don't know how often he tried to get sober before. I know he never seriously tried.

Spinner