Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

HS, we ALL felt the way you are feeling in the beginning.
But yes, this is YOUR journey, not his and you need to get your support from other alcoholics in recovery. I remember when I was celebrating my 1 year sober bday and my husband forgot! I was livid!! But ya know what? I called my sponsor, got my props from her and got reminded that it is just not that big of a deal to normies to NOT pick up a drink for a year. It is not their place to understand.

So, so you attend a program of any sort? Regardless, I would like to suggest a book called "Living Sober". I found it really helpful in coming to grasp with my "allergy" and learning how to live a happy sober life. I say allergy but it is a good way to look at it. If you were allergic to strawberries, would you get angry if your bf ate them in front of you? Would you be resentful that you could not eat them? Probably not. You would probably just focus on the enjoyment you get from NOT being deathly ill from eating strawberries and choose other fruit to eat. I live for my chai tea now!

Congrats on your 2 weeks! One day at a time, and just do not drink no matter what. It gets easier.