View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You'll hear it suggested and I do agree that it's best not to date in early recovery. Some people say to wait a year, or if you're in a program wait until you've been through the Steps at least once. I've seen marriages survive recovery, I've watched people date successfully, and I've witnessed more than a few that crashed & burned. I'm not a relationship expert, I tried dating after a year sober and it was one heck of a rollercoaster ride.

I know it can be painful to care about someone so much and to not experience the closeness we want, having to be around them brings up deep emotions and more hurt. But looking back now on the string of dysfunctional relationships and marriages I went through, I understand that God did for me what I couldn't do for myself.......instead of me getting what I wanted (a companion who would "fix me" and "make me whole") I was given a time-out from relationships so I could work on myself and focus on my recovery.

I'd still recommend posting this in the Relationships forum, it might take awhile to get a response but you'll get some different perspectives. And rather than post the whole thing here, I'll just link to a reading called "God's Plan For Your Mate Selection". I believe these words, this became the truth in my life.... God's plan [Archive] - Christian Chapel Forums