View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Hanna

My brother entered a program that required him to drug test regularly. He got thrown out after months of testing negative when they figured out he was cheating the test the entire time. He was using both suboxone and oxy during that period. He got a kick out of outsmarting the doctors.

Kentucky and Connecticut sued Purdue, the makers of Oxy and won - they admitted to lying about the addictive properties of the drug, and marketing it as less addictive than other pain killers*. It is absolutely not. I say this only to make it clear that I don't believe anyone when they say they will quit on their own or that they can control their use. With this drug, most abusers are also addicts or will become addicts very quickly. Unfortunately, once they are in the thralls of it only their own strength will bring them through it. They get themselves there, they have to get themselves out.
(That being said - we practically dragged my brother to rehab, knowing he was just days away from killing himself. Not sure if we saved his life or just prolonged the agony. But he's sober today and in a better place to make that choice for himself.)

My conclusion is that we have to find help for ourselves, if for no other reason that to shore ourselves up for both the best and the worst that may come. If my brother now decides to kill himself with drugs, I want to be in a place where I can physically, mentally and emotionally accept that choice without it destroying me too.

* I do discern between people prescribed this drug who become addicted and people that purposely take it without every having a prescription. There are victims out there who become addicted to this legally prescribe substance but there are plenty that take it recreationally and think they are too tough to become hooked.