View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
detaching200

Karrie, you've recieved so much good advice. I want to respond specifically to one thing you said. You said something along the lines of should I just go about my business and let him go about his? the answer, in short is yes. You mention he wrecked while under the influence. What was his consequence? If you mentioned it I missed it. The addict in my life did not stop when I made him leave. He did not stop when every single member of his family put him out of the house because he would get drunk/high and do something stupid. He didn't stop when he went to jail. He didn't stop when I took him back. The addict has to find his bottom, and by "helping" we are often prolonging the addiction by staving off the consequences. Advice about your child. If he is using in the house (and if he;s using he's using in the house) you should probably leave, or find a way to get him out of the house. It took law enforcement to get mine to get out. He wouldn't go just because I told him to! The reasons have already been mentioned by others. Not with the intention that this will finally fix him, but with the intention of protecting your child. WE have to find our bottom, too. We have to finally get to the place where we won't take anymore, where we realize that this is beyond our ability to control. ALL you can contol, the ONLY thing you can change is you. It's so hard, I know, but you aren't his warden. You aren't his mother. I will be thinking of you...