Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
GeeQ

Wow. I could have written your words myself. Same age, same anxiety, and was scared as hell to get into AA, due to having to share with others. Luckily, my family got a hold of a local AA and he got me into what I now call my home group. I am sorry I didn't join the group earlier. For the first couple of weeks, I was too mortified to speak, but as I grew to know everyone, my anxiety subsided a bunch. Instead of thinking that the whole room was looking at and analyzing me, I realized that they are there to help, listen and lend any advice I may ask for. I now find myself wigging out more over not[ going to a meeting than going to one. It is amazing the inner peace I feel when I leave a good session. If you'd have asked me two months ago if I could pick up the phone and talk to someone in Raleigh, NC about getting me to a meeting this week, I'd have laughed you off. I did just that, though about 10 minutes ago. Translation...things have gotten much better anxiety wise. I have come to enjoy speaking to fellow AAs and look forward to it.

Best of luck to you in your journey. I will tell you that taking that first step is the hardest part about the whole thing. If you can take that step, the rest comes much, much easier. Take care~GeeQ