Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
littlefish

I was a dry drunk my first 8 months of sobriety. I was going to AA, but I was only physically in the rooms, nothing was happening in my head. I was angry and miserable, because I had not started to address all the reasons why I drank. I was a dry drunk but didn't even know what that meant.

It is a very difficult challenge to do that, because it means that we have to face ourselves and acknowledge our faults. Nothing really started happening to me until I started working the steps.

So many have said it before and it was very true in my case, a dry drunk is in a terrible place because to simply not drink doesn't mean you are sober. Staying sober means taking a personal journey of self-development, that isn't always easy.

Step three was a real whingdinger for me because I was firmly convinced everything was everyone else's fault, and never mine.

All you can do is suggest a plan and a program. AA or one of the many alternatives to AA. Outpatient rehab, or inpatient. He really does have a lot of options, but it has to be his choice.