Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bookwyrm
Curled up in a good book...

Welcome!

Have you taken time to read through the 'stickied' threads at the top of the forum? There is a wealth of information there that I found really useful when I first found this forum. One of the first things I picked up is the three C's:

You did not cause the addiction
You cannot control the addiction
You cannot cure the addiction

As much as you would like to 'make' your partner see the error of his ways, you can't! It took me ages to realise this. I drove myself insane thinking if only I found the right words, the right actions I could change him. I only have that kind of power over myself.

Have you read Co-dependent No More by Melody Beattie? I found it to be an amazing read. It gave me so much insight into the alcoholic 'dance' I was involved in with STBXAH (soon to be X alcoholic husband) and tools in helping me change how I acted around him. 'Getting them Sober vol 1' is another book I found useful.

More people will be along to share their strength, experience and wisdom with you - I have found this forum to be a great resource and support. Stick around and you might find it be too!