View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
navysteve

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need
to consider another's conception of God. Our own
conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to
make the approach and to effect a contact with Him.
As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a
Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying
the totality of things, we began to be possessed
of a new sense of power and direction, provided we
took other simple steps. We found that God does not
make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us,
the Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive;
never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek.
BB page 46

This little paragraph opens the door up wide enough for anyone interested in seeking a spiritual way of life. Many, like myself who do not believe in the Divinity of the Jewish Carpenter or any other great men who walked the earth have found a path to contact our conception of God. I do not believe in an entity that wears a robe and lives in the clouds. I do believe in the purity of truth. I do believe that a power greater than me caused the sun to rise and the snow to fall. I do believe that the universe makes sense. And I do believe that all religions of the world were designed to help us connect with that power, regardless of the human frailties of these faiths, they have an underlying purpose, I do not need to believe their dogma to develop a genuine appreciation for what they have brought the world. I have yet to meet or hear of a great Athiest humanitarian.

The spiritual ideas behind the Big Book are not hard to get behind.

We are not the greatest power in the world ( we can do what I cannot)
We must clean up the wreckage of our past
We must serve our fellows

I have met athiests in AA who have met these characteristics, but many that I have known use the "G" word as an excuse. Of course finding excuses in AA is not limited to our agnostics.