View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
basIam

I believe it is definitely relevant to the OP.

We should never tell anyone what to do. On the other hand we should share our personal experiences and understandings gained from them.

Part of that is understanding what "agnostic" means, how doubt fits in with faith and the role of a sponsor.

I do believe the biggest misconception, and possibly most damaging, we give the new comer is that they must find god in order to recover.

That is a lie. Many newcomers can see the lie and as a result cross AA of the list of possibilities when it comes to recovery paths.

Hopefully, through this thread, the OP will be encouraged to investigate what it really means to be "agnostic", determine for himself if the word does in fact apply, consider (with an open mind) what his current mentor is attempting to impart to him, and then come to a sound conclusion as to what course of action he's should take.

I believe no one has the right to describe god for another, nor dictate how to acknowledge/seek/worship god. That is a personal decision for each of us to make.

I do "know" what the word agnostic means. It has a specific meaning that has nothing to do with theism or athiesm.

I will be agnostic until the day I die.
Inspite of everything I don't know, I choose to believe. It is arrogant to think I am gnostic. To think I know is the equivalent of think my knowledge, my rationale, is the end all be all.

In the end, I just don't know, but I believe. I say the "set aside prayer" and try to act on faith.

(Stereosteveo.... do you say the set aside prayer??? Isn't that the ultimate admission of agnosticsm? "Please enable me to set aside the things I think I know..." )