View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stereosteveo
Nonexistent Willpower

Ya sorry to hear about your cousin too Capt. So scarry. Cunning, baffling, powerful. The good news is he's got 19 years experience in knowing what actions to take now, and another year's experience in proving that it never gets beter.

I like what Rob said:

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
I go to meetings these days for one reason, to find a new man to help, like some others here, I have walked away from mainstream AA and have a home group that is focused on the Book.
Kudos Rob! That's exactly what my first sponsor does.

I sponsor a few people, and my best in AA has definitley been one-one.

But being the good alcoholic I am I like to hang around mainstream AA and **** everyone off by reading right out of the book for 5 minutes when it's my turn to share...

I've been thinking a lot about what Chris Raymer says:
"I don't go to meetings to learn anything new, everything I really need to know about alcoholism is in the first 164 pages. I'm only there in respect for Tradition 5 in Carrying THE message to the alcoholic who STILL suffers."
I must say it's very humbling and challenging to carry THE message and not my own. Me and my moral and philisophical babble...

I still like the old saying "It's not what I can get from a meeting, but what I can take to it."

Also the worst meeting in town is probably the one I need to put the most effort into supporting.

But each group has it's own place and was formed for a reason. I liked the really off the wall meetings for a long time. You couldn't drag me into a BB meeting. Today it's just the opposite. But I have to be careful because I seek comfort just like a drug.

Comfort = Complacency = Drunk Again for me! If I "really" am anything like the relapsers that is. That's why I stay close to them. The longer I'm sober the more the disease seems to convince me I'm not like them.

Cunning, baffling, powerful.