Thread: Triggered!
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JenT1968

anxiety disorders are hideous, I don't have PTSD (to any great extent, although I have familiarity with all of the symptoms you describe, they are not as severe linked to AH), I do suffer from social anxiety and experience triggers for that which can have me being sick, unable to speak, doing odd and in extreme cases dangerous things to get away from a perceived threat. I have been learning coping strategies with the help of a therapist.
I have no idea if it works similarly for you with PTSD, although they seem to be similar symptoms, I have npo idea about treratment, but I find it helpful not to hide my attacks from some people, to be able to say if asked "what was wrong?" that I was suffering from an anxiety attack. For me though, going into the details with the person whose behaviour triggered the attack is not helpful, sometimes I fall deeper into it again worrying about their reaction (which is an SA thing), often they don't know how to deal with the detail thinking I am blaming them (I'm not) but mostly, I have to learn to bring myself down from an incident and not rely on the object of my anxiety to input into that in any way. I can then deconstruct it at a later time with my therapist in a safe environment, with a neutral individual who has no agenda.

I am not saying that is the case for you, just my ESH from a different anxiety disorder: you have my sympathies, they are brutal.