Thread: Triggered!
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lilyflower
Recovering Codependant

Hey Transform, glad to here you sounding so much better and centered in yourself!

Triggers are confusing things, I always find that when I experience one, I am perfectly fine one moment and then it hits me out of the blue and I am not okay.

As some triggers can result in panic attacks for me, I have tried to look at ways in which I can alleviate a trigger as it is happening, this along side my recovery work day to day is helping me to stear myself to a better place and continue to heal.

I think your taking off to 'look' at the veg was a great way to deflect some of the effects.

As you know, the funny things with triggers is that even if you start shopping else where, seeing a similar situation can just as easily start up a train-reaction of memory and feelings, so it is not as simple as to just stay away from him.

My ex has lived in Scotland (I am in Liverpool UK) since we split; but I can still have a very strong reaction to certain events, like raised voices, sudden loud noises, and any form of 'teasing' can (but not always) have my back up and my senses on alert.

I find it good to remind myself that I am safe now and to try my best to evaluate each event on its own. That can sometimes mean walking away from it to analyse and draw my conclusions, even over some days! For instance, a man at my office who quite often likes to have a beer or two on his lunch sits right by me at work. I have to be watchful of my attitude when he returns as the smell of liquor immediately has me on my gaurd and questioning the hidden meaning of every 'joke' he makes in the afternoon.

It triggers my old habitual coping mechanisms which although I am aware of and healing are still dormant inside me and wake at times with a vengence!

As it is said, it is a process, and one that must be travelled through to get past. Time is a healer.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx