Thread: Codependency
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Jane))) - I found out, when I began my addiction recovery, that I, too, am a codie. I started reading on the Friends & Family of substance abuse forum, mainly because I needed to see what my addiction put my family through to deal with it, but I got a tremendous amount of insight into my own codie issues.

Cat's is right on about that book...it is wonderful, as is ANYTHING by Melody Beattie.

I've discovered my addiction and codependency are so intertwined, it's like they are one in the same...nothing will make me want to use more than dealing with a situation or someone that I can't control and the feelings of helplessness that come with it.

We also have a thread, called "codepency and beyond" that deals with codependency...obviously, everyone there is affected by addiction, or they wouldn't be here, but we focus more on the behaviors of being a codie.

It was when I started addressing my CODIE issues that my ADDICTION recovery really "clicked". I feel as if I'm in recovery from both, and it's made a big difference from the time when I was clean for a better part of a year, but still had the same behaviors.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy