View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
littlefish

I truly believe I can cure all of the factors by just taking care of one --- the drinking.
If you are like most of us, there are underlying reasons why you are drinking. I seriously doubt I would be sitting here sober today if I had not reached out for help in my attempt to stay sober. I could NOT do it on my own.

Like so many others here, I tried every form of controlled drinking possible. Switching my drink of choice, counting my drinks, locking up the booze, avoiding bars and parties. Joining the gym, going on diets, taking night classes.

Hating booze and hating being drunk didn't stop me. I simply cursed the glass of wine as I forced it down my throat at 7AM.

I went through "the cycle" too, for years. I'd have a few good days then another few very bad days. Good weeks, then bad weeks. But, the disease is progressive. Soon there weren't any more good days. I progressed to daily, all day drinking and topped that off with binging.

Have you considered a program of some kind? I use AA but there are many alternatives to AA in the US from what I understand.
As so many here on SR asked me when I seriously considered quitting: do you have a plan?