View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Ago

I am not offended in the slightest, nor do I wish to offend anybody, especially just by stating my God isn't 'Christian" in any way shape or form, I am absolutely comfortable talking about my higher power, and how to find one, I am stating two things:

1) I am asking if this side topic is relevant or helpful to the OP because one of the issues he has had/is having is a Christian telling him to get a deity or he can't get sober, I have experience with that, I am stating you CAN be an agnostic and work the steps, that his idea of a higher power needn't match his sponsors, that, like Jim said, there are VERY specific instructions on how a sponsor is supposed to work with a newcomer:
Stress the spiritual feature freely. If the man be agnostic or atheist, make it emphatic that he does not have to agree with your conception of God. He can choose any conception he likes, provided it makes sense to him. The main thing is that he be willing to believe in a Power greater than himself and that he live by spiritual principles.

When dealing with such a person, you had better use everyday language to describe spiritual principles. There is no use arousing any prejudice he may have against certain theological terms and conceptions about which he may already be confused. Don't raise such issues, no matter what your own convictions are.
That is VERY simple, I do apologize if I seem to be coming across with a hard edge, or appear "offended" but I am not, I am just stating simply and baldly, in AA we are allowed to pick ANY conception we like, provided it makes sense to US.

Whether it be Wiccan, Christian, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, WHATEVER

Who and what my higher power is NONE of your business, and vice versa, I have sponsored Atheists, Agnostics, Pantheists, etc etc, it just. doesn't. matter.

What DOES matter is telling someone new they have to agree with YOUR concept of God, which DID happen in this thread, and Yes, THAT is offensive.

So between what Chapter 7 says, and the Tradition which states:

No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues-particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.

and keeping a thread on topic with the view in mind of helping the OP and not hijacking the thread, and AA members speaking OUTSIDE THEIR EXPERIENCE Yes, I probably appear irritated, I'm not, I enjoy repeating myself over and over and over

BB 1st edition