Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MaxRay

Christmas

This was my first sober Christmas in over ten years. Every Christmas morning we go to our friend's house to celebrate and every year I have been either been hungover, drunk or both. I never could enjoy the wonderful food and company until this year.

I decided to take the plunge into sobriety last Tuesday. Part of me thought trying this right before the holidays was not the best idea, but I just felt it had to be done. I am really glad I did. I had the best Christmas I have had in years. The food was great as were my friends.

One interesting thing is that I got a lot of alcohol related gifts right down to a portable wine cellar. While ironic, it did make me think that a lot of my friends associate me drinking. I don't want that.

I think I am one of the lucky ones that is having no withdrawal symptoms at all, so everything is going smoothly. Of course, I am tempted to drink, but the rewards so far of not drinking seem worlds greater.

I have tried quitting many times and finally all the meetings, therapy and even the falls seem to be paying off.

This really was the best Christmas ever!