Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by Dream2bClean View Post
I AM going to try again tomorrow. I can not live like this anymore.
This was me, Dreams, for about 3 years before I got sober. Nearly every day I'd make myself that promise to not drink that day, and usually sometime time during that day I'd end up drinking. And when I drank, I didn't stop.

I'd wake up the next day full of guilt and remorse and make that promise all over again. Sure, there were brief times where I was successful at not drinking, but there always came the day where I'd pick back up without much thought or over some trivial reason.

I've watched this same pattern in countless others in the years since.

I fought that fight for as long as I could. I didn't give up easily. Kept making that promise, kept trying not to drink. When my problems piled up to where I didn't think I'd ever get them sorted out. When I simply could not keep on fighting, I reached out for help. I spoke with a man who claimed to have a solution for my problem.

He layed out the problem for me in a way that made sense. I knew he understood how hard I was trying to not drink. I knew he had been there. He showed me in AA's Big Book what the problem really was. And he showed me the solution to it.

A set of simple actions, that when complete, would solve the problem. Having no other options left, and being desperate, I started taking the suggested actions. The first day I started was my first day sober. Those actions have led me to a life better than I could have hoped. A life that is fulfilled and content, has purpose, and in which I'm of use to others.

I wish you the best in your fight. If you find that you are unable to fight any longer, I know that AA has a solution for you.