Thread: Finally Ready
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MaxRay

Finally Ready

Greetings to Everyone and Happy Holidays!

I just found this site today and have been reading it all morning. Funny that I never found it before. I guess the Universe thought today was the day.

I have been drinking for a long time, but the last year really got bad. I work from home and opening up a bottle of wine in the morning suddenly became the norm. The guilt that followed at the end of the day with nothing done also became the norm. I have stopped and started so many times, but never made it past two weeks. Those were two great weeks, though!

I have been going to therapy, AA meetings and have an amazing doctor. I also found I have a surprisingly supportive family. I finally admitted to all of them that I was an alcoholic and needed help. That was a big step for me.

Today I took Antabuse for the first time. I have had it sitting on my desk for almost a week, but took it right when I got up today. Panic quickly set in. What was I going to do without a drink?!!! Well, it's already been six hours and I am still here and while it's hard, I know what will happen so I am keeping busy. I needed this step to get me going. I also think I will need this board as part of my overall plan.

Thanks for reading this! I look forward to reading all your stories and advice.