View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
HarryB

Originally Posted by keepcominback View Post
Harry,

My sponsor from AA would say to me, "Go get done". If your not done, go get done. She means that if you still want to drink, drink. Go get that knowledge of your real condition if need be.

You are asking how to avoid drinking, so that implies you don't want to drink, yet as soon as someone gave you a gift of alcohol, you drank it.

I understand that, I did that last year on Christmas day. A bottle of brandy was mailed to us, I had about 26 days sober, I got resentful, everyone else gets to drink on Christmas, and I drank.

So...I don't personally agree with telling anyone to go get done. I think to encourage a person with alcoholism to drink is wrong, but these people in AA, my sponsor, and people at an AA big book study working on a chapter called Working with others, really seem to say, to move on, if a person doesn't want to stop, or they still have some lurking notion that they can drink, or inwardly wish they could get away with a few....

Harry, if you want to stay sober, only you can make it happen. If you think you can't do it, start after Christmas as a New Year's Resolution to yourself?

Good Luck, and Merry Christmas Harry.
Wanting to stop drinkiing does not make you immune from picking up.

I do not need to drink myself nearly to death again to remind myself not to do it. I don't think I'll EVER stop liking alcohol or thinking about drinking but it's something I've got to learn to deal with.