View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
naive

hi lotus-

i think a break for a month or two would be helpful IF AND ONLY IF you go no contact during that period of time.

if you leave and continue to engage with him, then you will have more drama on your hands due to the passion of separation.

i left and went to my mother's for a month. but i kept taking his phone calls, which was a big mistake. it kept me hooked, you see. he said he had stopped drinking, got the car on the road, was going to visit his children, etc. etc.

if you take the time out, i would highly recommend a complete break so that you can think clearly and put together a plan as to how to separate. and let him get on with his plans, whatever they may be.

in light of this, if it is possible, don't give him your new contact information, change your cell phone number, and spam him on your email.

what i experienced as i separated for that month, was that i had time to let all my bottled up emotions come to the surface to be dealt with. my emotions went all over the radar, once i had a peaceful environment to begin to sort out the chaos. i attended alanon as much as i could and did a lot of journaling and reading.

i re-discovered the life that normal people live. i remember going out to dinner with my mom, brother and his wife AND NO ONE DRANK. i had forgotten simple things, like eating meals at normal hours. i slept a lot.

after a week or two, i could feel my energy returning. not having to worry about the threat of my alcoholic, i could enjoy my mother and her friends, or play with the grandchildren. me and my mom made up projects around the house she wanted help with....to clean out closets and have a big yard sale. all these things reminded me of normal life with sober people, doing projects and making meals.

if you do go, you might want to safeguard your important documents off-site somewhere. things like passports, birth certificates that are a hassle to replace.

naive