View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ribeye

True enough.

But I would say a person who is that far off the beam is probably not in fit spiritual condition. Not according to my reading of the BB anyway. I think the big items need to be addressed. Otherwise we're just fooling ourselves.

People who displayed those major defects of character tended to get drunk in the BB. In fact, they still do. Sometimes a person can stay sober a long time while acting out but the question remains, are they really spiritually fit ?

I think for our purposes, we can assume not.

I know I have the lesser variety of all those defects myself and I'm not 'on the beam' on any given day, but the major defects are mostly gone. And I can say, with all honesty that when I act out on a major defect, I'm not spiritually fit. Not while I'm doing it and probably not for a good while afterwards. I just had a few bouts with my temper recently and I know all too well what I'm talking about..... It felt good as heck at the time but it was spiritual poison. All the good spiritual qualities I have were worth nothing. I was just in the pit. That's why I think it's an all or nothing situation. When you're off the beam, you're off. You drink over the on defect that broke you. Your assets aren't gonna save you because they're 'on the beam' and you're not.

And that's where the tools come in of course.

Originally Posted by Ago View Post

Fit spiritual condition is one of those great topics like humility and honesty that leads people to talk way outside their experience, to yammer platitudes they learned from the BB while their spouse wants to kill them, as they cut people off in traffic, as they steal from work and have affairs. Those meetings always amuse me.