Old 12-19-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ICant

Like the others said, there are some happy endings where both partners commit to self improvement. I see a red flag in that your boyfriend has not given up even though he has been asked by whatever program he is in. I don't want to give you false hope.

After the first time my husband's drinking became daily binges, I saw a counsellor and made changes to how I behaved, my husband cut right back to what I would call reasonable social drinking. The counsellor warned me that if he truly was an alcoholic, the daily binge drinking would return unless he abstained. She was right. It took three years but eventually he was back to daily binges.

I went to Al-Anon. At that point, I told him he could continue to drink because I realised I could not control his behaviour, but I would not live in the house with him anymore if I saw him drunk again. He agreed to this boundary. Two months later he was drunk in the house because frankly if he could control drink, I would never have had to have that conversation.

I called the lawyer, he called AA and I have not seen him drunk for one year now. To my knowledge he had one beer this past year which made me anxious to hear but so far it doesn't look like he is going back in for another turn on the merry go round. The marriage is going well. I'm calmer then I ever have been. The reality is that my husband may return to drinking but thanks to Al-Anon I know that if that were to happen, I wouldn't drop to my knees screaming: NOooooooo! I'd accept reality and figure out the next step. Whether you stay with your ABF or not, I think Al-Anon is fantastic.