View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Originally Posted by I'm tired View Post

Christmas is 5 days away & my family is destroyed by this disease yet it seems to her there is lack of any concern as to the destruction she has caused.
Two years ago, at Christmas time, my daughter was in rehab #3 in 12 days. This time she was in the mountains, 3000 miles from home with no money or ID to bolt.

She called me non stop, to beg, plead, threaten me and suicide if I did not allow her to come home. I was out of my mind with all this and all that preceeded this. I decided on Christmas Day to give my self a break and decided to not answer the phone or tend to the the voice mails being left. I accepted that there was nothing else I could do for her.

It was the begining, just a stub really, of taking back control of my own life.

It was about this time that I had an inkling that I had a choice in all this...to let her take me down with her or save myself. I had already done anything and everything within my power to give her opportunities to seek sobriety.
The rest was up to her.

If you decide to gift, do so knowing it's a gift with no strings attached.
Your daughter is going to do whatever she is going to do, or not. Enjoy your holiday with your sister and let go, just for one day.