View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
meonlyme

Why does it seems as if 'addicts' show such little remorse

I'm new here. I know this is an older forum, but my heart is heavy. I Googled this question and it brought me to this site, so I joined.
I'm not an addict myself, that is a 'chemical' addict. I do believe I've developed an addicts personality due to having 3 husbands who were alcoholics and a daughter who is in recovery.She is 47, and hopefully sober for 1 yr. However, she treats me so badly (always did when she was drinking), now it's sporadic. She lives 1500 miles away, but I've been her support system...always. Ever since she was born of course, but during her years as an alcoholic, for over 25 yrs., 2 felonies Dui's 3 reg DUIs and time in jail, and no more driving privleges. This makes me so sad that her life has been this way and how hard it is on her. She lost custody of her 7 yr.s old daughter too.
I was and still am, always picking up her pieces. Financially, emotionally you name it. I found it necessary, 12/17/09,(yesterday) to finally disconnect from her and change my phone #. It hurts so badly to do this. But I know her typical reaction will be to blame it all on me, and say something like this.
"Whatever".
I feel so badly, but she never seems to show real remorse for hurting me in so many ways, for so many years. The relationship varies from loving to toxic. I always feel guilt and sadness, but towards me, she seems to feel very little of this. I am wondering why. I was so happy she celebrated a yr. of sobriety, and now, I've had to disconnect. I'm tired, wornout and incredibly sad. Anyone, please help me with your feedback, I would be so appreciative. Thank you.
Heavy hearted in Omaha