Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
silkspin

We found a couples aa/al anon group in our area. All of the couples who attend are currently together and they've told us that there has been no break ups of any members who regularly attend those meetings. It is special in that it allows both sides of the story, in an open forum of sharing and communication. I had the most authentic conversations in months during and after those meetings with my H. Those couples decided to stay together, work through sobriety and say that they are happier than they ever have been. Each also work their own recovery individually and many have been in the program for many years.

If you're looking for a happy ending where the couple stays together, those folks at that meeting are a testament that it can happen. Was it easy, linear, challenge-free? Nope, I know that from when they share their stories. It's not how every story ends; I'm sure those who haven't stayed together can also have happy endings, just defined differently. The delusion is really trying to make the unworkable work because of fantasy or expectation. We need to make our decisions grounded in the reality of what we're looking at.

I am still together with my spouse, after almost a year of sobriety. Am I happy? Sometimes. Are we happy? Sometimes. Can I say everything is fixed? Not one bit. We have new challenges but for the moment we've decided to keep trying for the sake of our 2 yr old. We love her dearly and she helps to bring us closer, but as a couple we are struggling. We feel that we'll give it a bit longer to see if we can rekindle what brought us together and define a new relationship in sobriety. But I can say, I'm more happy than sad, and happy that I have more peace and love in my household than ever. I'll take it for now.