Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
iwantcontrol

Any happy relationship stories out there?

Does anyone have any 'happy endings' so to speak, where your alcoholic partner has sought help and got through it, and your relationship survived?

I am a newbie here and have only been with my alcoholic boyf for 6 months. He is currently in a day program and his drinking has cut down but he is supposed to be totally abstinent on the program. He is probably drinking about 3 or 4 days a week now, but not getting completely off his head like he was before. He has become quite grumpy and withdrawn but he says that is because he is going through a lot of changes and talking about difficult subjects at the moment. He has mental health issues and depression and is trying to work out if he is truly just an alcoholic or if he self-medicates for depression.

I have been reading lots of info about alcoholism, codependency etc and read loads of forum posts on SR, but I haven't found many happy stories of alcoholics recovering and the relationship surviving. I truly want my relationship to work and don't want to give up on it just yet, but I can't help but think it just isn't going to work after reading a lot of these posts. There must be some happy stories?