View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hardereveryday

Ready to leave - now what

I realize I wrote back in June that I was thinking of leaving my husband of 40 yrs. due to his drinking and then watched him quit for a short while and restart. He recently was in the hospital due to heart problems but they had to sober him up first and that only lasted a week or so. He quit during the week of Thanksgiving cuz I threatened him about leaving and I always host that day so he was good until about a week ago and has been hiding it again and lying when I question him. I told him that after numerous warnings, it was time for me to move out for awhile. I can't get my head around being on my own--this is my house and I love it. But I know he won't leave and I just can't keep watching him do this. He's been falling more and since he's on coumadin due to atrial fib, he bruises and bleeds likes there's no tomorrow. Then I feel I should be here to help him. I'm tired of it. How do those of you that have left manage on your own? I really just want to try a separation and see if he'll get REAL help this time. He is so dependent on me to do everything (banking, bills, setting out his meds, etc.) that I'm worrying what will happen to him with me gone. Should I keep coming back every couple weeks to check on him and the house or make a clean break? I want to leve all my stuff here to see if we can make it work again but I know I'll need things in my new place (whatever that may be). Any help, advice, comments, etc. are greatly appreciated.