View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
BadCompany

19 years sober here.

For 17 years I have lived in a smallish town with an AA clubhouse. After 2 years going there I found myself going many miles out of town for meetings. Not the best way to work a program. I got tired of the endless drama, people wasting my time bitching about their day, the card signers wasting my time shining me on for favors and rides, talking about positive affirmations, guided imagery, heck every platitude out there that has little or nothing to do with this program. I spent several years on the outskirts of this program.

I finally found a good meeting within 20 miles of home. Made the mistake of getting a new sponsor. Made the bigger mistake of bitching about the weak ass AA in my hometown. "Well" he says "you're strong, why don't you go fix it?" (insert "forehead slap" gif here)

I'm the dreaded big book thumper. Some of them hate me, others look forward to my share. I now sponsor three of them and one of them just commandeered the tuesday night meeting. I almost feel like a pirate boarding a sleepy french cargo ship when I walk through the doors of that hall I despised for so long.

Originally Posted by Sober25 View Post
Sometimes us oldtimers just need to get our head out of our ass and do some constructive thinking - and acting. Sometimes we get away from the basics and try to fly when we should have our feet on the ground - at least that's what I need.
Well said!