Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by Slayer View Post

When I sober up will I eventually get back to the point where I can find things of interest rather than drugs/alcohol?
Of course. But you'll have to sober up first and find true recovery... not just abstinence. It wont come overnight and neither will it come without a journey, of sorts. Think about it.

I think we all have our own experience with this. Mine has been that I have changed my way of living, and thinking. Why was alcohol/drugs so important to me that without them I would perceive my life as being no fun? What part did they play in my life?

If they played center stage and there was little point in engaging in that activity otherwise... keg parties, barrooms, etc... well, that's not on my radar screen anymore.

But I play guitar, hike, whitewater canoe, ski, hunt, bicycle... all of these activities in some way began to involve alcohol or other substances... and, yes, absolutely, I had to find my way back to them... and, I had to reach down deep for motivation, at times...

I am not exactly sure where Boleo is coming from, but when he talks of returning to your old way of living... well no, you probably can't, if in fact your alcoholic... but that doesn't mean you can't LIVE!!!

So my experience has been that I have rediscovered many things of interest... but I had to work for it, and I had to change my way of living. And, you know what?? It's all good.

Not only that, I can easily find time to go to meetings and help others. Who says you can't do some of that behind a fishing pole or in a pair of hiking boots or on a bike.... I've had fellowship with others in recovery that was not in a church basement or in a diner....

Mark