View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phan

Do I belong here?

I quit drinking for eight months. That was three years ago, and now feel like I should probably give it another go. My life hasn't spiraled out of control and some people have told me that I haven't lost enough yet to fully be committed to stopping. I have come to realize that my drinking is quite selfish though, and fear losing my health, wife, and job if my patterns of drinking continue. When and where I'm going to drink generally consumes much of my day and have become masterful at hiding my drinking from loved ones. I know drinking is ultimately my choice, yet continue to make excuses or rationalize my behaviors (I had a bad day = drink, my wife had a bad day = drink, I had a good day and should celebrate with a drink, and so on). I'm pretty sure that I began drinking to deal with underlying anxiety, but now feel that it is only contributing to this problem. I don't want to make this too lengthy, but would appreciate any feedback or encouragement from those with similar experience. Thanks.