View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ribeye

The 12/12 says that it is a book of essays.

An essay is :
"A short literary composition on a single subject, usually presenting the personal view of the author".

To me, 'personal view of the author' is what's operative here. The BB on the other had is the 'basic text' of AA.

So one is a text and one is Bill W's personal views. Both are important but in rather different ways. IMHO.

essay - definition of essay by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
At our last step meeting, we read the second step from the 12 and 12. I was disappointed. What bugged me is that there was some inference that perhaps spiritual experiences had while we were still drinking were not that at all... more like misplaced emotional sentiment....

BS I say.

I had some wonderful and life changing spiritual experiences that pre-date my entry to AA.

The Big Book says no such thing... in fact, it says that we don't want to close the door or forget about our past.

It just kind of bugged me, I guess... I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, but I am wondering if others have some specific experiences with the 12 and 12 that left them scratching their heads....

Mark