View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
keithj

I don't know how much wisdom there is in it, kjell, but my experience was similar. I remember those first few months as being a mixture of panic and desperation, along with a lot of time spent feeling out of sorts. Just kind of lost. I didn't know what to make of it, and it was confusing.

But, I started using those tools that were at my disposal. It's one thing to have them there; it's another to pick them up and use them. I started taking the 12 steps on the first day I didn't drink, working out of the Big Book with a sponsor who spoke of a spiritual solution as being the only hope of a real alcoholic.

I was very lucky. I was into the 4th step before the first month was up, and although every day wasn't great, it was obvious that a change was happening. That obsession to drink was gone. I still didn't like facing life too much, but I had the feeling that things were going to be OK. I wasn't sure how, and I didn't have any answers, but I believed that what I was doing was leading me to something completely new.

Just about the only question that matters in early recovery in AA is 'What step are you on'? If that work is solid and progressing, the discomfort and confusion can be a blessing. It shuts my brain off and allows me to accept the experience that is taking place.