Thread: ?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post

My personality is that of one which always wants to make a good experience even more intense/better. I am just feeling a sense of loss in most things I am doing. It feels like I have lost my partner in crime and it's starting to p*ss me off.
You are most assuredly NOT unique. I could have written that just one short year ago.

There is grief involved in getting sober. There was a huge sense of loss for me. At times I still feel it, but much less so, and when I do, I don't get that acute emotional response that used to go with it.

Yea, it took me a while to get it back..... that buzz, sense of anticipation, enthusiasm that accompanied nearly everything I did. But it is coming back... sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly....

What did I do?

I'm very fortunate... I like doing stuff that drinking doesn't have to be a part of.... fishing, hunting, skiing, cycling, whitewater... Like I said, I am very blessed to be able to do those things.... SO I KEPT DOING THEM!!!.... with family, friends, boy scouts and now, sober friends I've made in AA. And I catch glimpses of that dopamine fueled feel good excitement that I used to...

I see you've been struggling with this, Neo... thanx for sharing, this helps everyone, to have this dialogue...

It gets better, it really does.

Are you working a program of recovery?

Hang in there friend.

Mark