View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks Cats. This is a much needed thread not just at this time of the year, but all year long. I'm already feeling the holiday stress; mostly due to my husband's medical situations. That's all the more reason for me to stand firm and not allow my joy to be diminished.

One thing that stands out to me is that on this upcoming holiday season, or on any other day that is designated as 'special'...I try to remember that it's just another day with a label on it. It's just another Monday...Tuesday, or Saturday. Once I do that, in my mind, all the negative power associated with it is removed.

It's often just too much to even fit into a week or month's worth of normal personal interaction or activity, all crammed into just one day. It's an impossible task and no small wonder why there are so many family squabbles and misunderstandings...and I say all that without even adding in all the dynamics of alcholism, addiction or codependency.

I'm also a firm believer that I cannot rightfully say I'm having a 'holiday' if I allow it to only produce anxiety and fatigue. It's like having a stressful vacation...which is an oxymoron.

So this year, as in years past; my goal is to make the most of the good and simple things, enjoy what _is_ and to appreciate what I have. While keeping a sharp eye out for all the triggers and trapdoors; I want to keep a balanced and realistic attitude about the holidays.

Keep it simple, make it safe & serene. Have fun.