View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
One point I was trying to get across ashlee.....we don't usually turn people away, but I can see how they'd feel that way or feel unwelcome because of AA's Traditions. What I was trying to say is that some of those addicts turn their backs on the program, or they're making excuses about meetings being too far away, too late, too early, etc.

Ashlee, when I need a meeting I'll walk 10 miles to get there, any time of day or night. There are no excuses for not getting my daily dose of recovery.

I also agree with you that we're all in the same boat. I'm an alcoholic, a codependent, and I've dabbled in marijuana, cocaine, overeating, etc. Those are my addictions. But I go to different meetings for them, I go to AA for my alcoholism.

I haven't been in recovery long ashlee, but I know that there are staunch Big Book thumping AA'ers, and there are people like me who believe in AA Lite, soft AA, whatever you wanna call it, and there are people that fall somewhere in the middle. It's been that way for 70 + years, I'm not gonna change it. I'm just going to take what I want, what I need to stay sober, alive, and incredibly happy, and I'll leave the rest.