View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mariposa18

Well....I did it. I went to my first AA meeting today =) I tried to go last night, made it to the parking lot and out of the car only to turn around and leave! But this morning I made it all the way in the room. Everyone was so nice, so welcoming. The first time I introduced myself I only said my name, nothing else. Later on as the meeting when on and I listened, I related to a lot that was said. I actually ended up sharing, which surprised me to no end because I was not planning on it. I said my name, followed by "and I'm an alcoholic" I paused for a second and realized it was the first time I had said that out loud. I said so to the group and they all clapped for me. It felt good and so surreal. I don't remember a lot of the meeting since I was so anxious! My hands were shaking so bad when I got there I couldn't even hold my coffee. But I went, I got the Big book and the 12 steps and traditions book. They gave me a list of numbers, this group meets at 10am tues, wed and thurs. I will go again tomorrow.

I'm glad I went...so glad I went.

ETA: They asked if any newcomers would like to be part of the program and accept a white chip. I raised my hand and did so. The woman who handed it to me gave me a huge hug, everyone clapped =) Next week I'll have a year sober and I can't wait to accept my red chip with this group.