Thread: Hello everyone
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BabyGorilla

Unhappy Hello everyone

I decided I need to stop drinking. It is something I have known for a long time really. But its become such a long term habit so it seems easier to say than do. I pretty much self-medicate...spending most of my life with severe anxiety and depression. So alcohol is like a short term solution every night (although not really of course) that prevents me from long term solutions in my life.

I have been drinking since I was 19 and am 32 now. In all that time I have probably not gone for more than 2 weeks of sobriety. I have been letting life pass me bye and I don't want to do that anymore.

Also I am concerned with health. Sometimes after drinking the following night I will get pains in my feet hands...like sharp needles. It never happens after I don't drink. I did some google search and I am worried that if I don't stop now I might be getting alcoholic neuropathy. I also have diabetes and haven't been really controlling it...the alcohol doesn't help and then the cravings for food the next day etc...

Any way I think if I stop now and get it together I can turn things around before it's too later. I am still young and I think I have avoided long term damage...but I think and feel that long term damage is right around the corner if I don't stop now.

I want to start exercising...get in shape...control my diabetes maybe even get rid of it by losing the weight...work on my anxiety and depression and get my life together. So I am going to stop with the self-medication and habit behavior and I look forward to meeting you and the support of this forum.