View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clutch B

The more I read here the more I feel like having a nice glass of something alcoholic
So all of these desperate people posting about how they can't stop drinking, can't stop shaking, keep relapsing, etc -- makes you want to relive that time in your life? I guess their message has the opposite effect on me. It makes me want to stay AWAAAAY from a drink.

But I totally identify with feeling lonely when the husband is gone, out doing one of his "man things". The last time he left for a weekend, I nearly fell apart. I wanted to drink so bad!

A few things helped me through that:

1) I posted my drinking plans on SR, and a bunch of people reminded me of how bad I felt when I used to drink.

2) I went to an AA meeting so I didn't feel so alone there.

3) I made a little project for myself to keep me busy (it was almost Halloween, so I went to the arts and crafts store and made a little Halloween decoration ...). It was a little thing but it gave me something to think about OTHER than wanting to drink.

4) I wrote out a list of things I was grateful for. Corny, yeah, and it started out with stupid crap like "I have internet access". But the more little things I listed, the better I felt.

Anyway, those feelings of wanting to drink come and go for me. It's normal to feel like you do.

I'm glad you're here and I hope you keep posting.