Notices

All this is making me thirsty...

Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
part time member

All this is making me thirsty...

The more I read here the more I feel like having a nice glass of something alcoholic and watching tv or watching the fire or watching the stars or anything. The husband went hunting (again) and left me here. I didn't want to go hunting....I don't hunt and only want the meat in small packages that are labeled. I just pigged out on chocolate chips for cooking....something to wash them down sounds good...I haven't felt like this for 40 something days! Must be the moon....
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LTT

With respect, I don't think the problem is SR...
I've read your posts and blogs...you've been battling with these feelings for a while. Sounds to me like you're lonely, maybe a bit sad...that's never a good place to be for an alcoholic.

It's up to us to do something about it, LTT. We deal with these feelings in a healthy way - or they deal with us. Thats the bottom line really.

In my experience, white knuckling doesn't really cut it - not as a long term solution.
What are you doing about it LTT?

D
Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

I've read your posts and blogs...you've been battling with these feelings for a while. Sounds to me like you're lonely, maybe a bit sad...that's never a good place to be for an alcoholic.
Not sure where you are getting this. I guess I am lonely when husband is hunting but I am not sad. Yes, sad about my mother dying but I believe I am over that. You know nothing about me and you shouldn't assume anything.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The more I read here the more I feel like having a nice glass of something alcoholic
So all of these desperate people posting about how they can't stop drinking, can't stop shaking, keep relapsing, etc -- makes you want to relive that time in your life? I guess their message has the opposite effect on me. It makes me want to stay AWAAAAY from a drink.

But I totally identify with feeling lonely when the husband is gone, out doing one of his "man things". The last time he left for a weekend, I nearly fell apart. I wanted to drink so bad!

A few things helped me through that:

1) I posted my drinking plans on SR, and a bunch of people reminded me of how bad I felt when I used to drink.

2) I went to an AA meeting so I didn't feel so alone there.

3) I made a little project for myself to keep me busy (it was almost Halloween, so I went to the arts and crafts store and made a little Halloween decoration ...). It was a little thing but it gave me something to think about OTHER than wanting to drink.

4) I wrote out a list of things I was grateful for. Corny, yeah, and it started out with stupid crap like "I have internet access". But the more little things I listed, the better I felt.

Anyway, those feelings of wanting to drink come and go for me. It's normal to feel like you do.

I'm glad you're here and I hope you keep posting.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mergirl

The good news is, for most of us this feeling does go away. I am 10 months sober, and a drink never sounds good. The thought of a glass of wine or a beer actually repulses me now. hang in there.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure hope you resisted the urge to return to the bottle
as a coping mechanism for your life.

Have yiu thought of exploring SMRT recovery?

SMART RecoveryŽ|Self Help for Alcoholism Drug & Other Addiction

The longer you stay sober...the easier it is....
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have left AA meetings with the thought of pulling in the liquor store, but never have. I left a lot more of them NOT wanting to pull into the beer store.
I have been sober 8 months now, and I still think about drinking, but the thought doesn't last very long. Most of the time I don't think about it.
I guess I'm just trying to say hang in there. It does ger easier as time goes on.
Fred
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

I used to blame everything but myself for urges and cravings too. It helped me take no responsibility for my thoughts and eventual actions just about every time I did end up turning to a bottle and getting drunk.

I also highly doubt SR is the reason for your cravings, but if you truly feel it is.. take a break.

I can guarantee you're going to face much bigger challenges in your life than a little sadness and lonliness and being that affected by some words on a recovery website, that will rock your world in terms of staying sober. Those are the times you prepare for. How is your recovery treatment/program/whatever going for you? What can you be doing differently to prevent feeling how you are now, again?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
The more I read here the more I feel like having a nice glass of something alcoholic
This is why I don't go to AA - believe it or not AA triggers me because I have a hard time sitting around listening to people talk about their problems and not drinking over those problems. I think it's a fine program, please don't misunderstand my intentions...it's just not a fine program for me.

But I feel that way too quite a bit and when I do I take a break from SR or anything causing my trigger.

"All things in moderation, moderation in all things."