View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nolaspiral

Kjell, you're in an uncomfortable spot but it's reassuring to hear you accept responsibility.

I am fortunate to have never received a DUI. But oh brothers and sisters, have I driven drunk! Most often it was after going through the insidiously stupid reasoning of, "Well, of all my drunk friends, I'm, the least drunk, so I'm going to assume the risks and get everyone home safely." Brilliant! I was never caught but I am certain that this is due to the math/odds being on my side more than any expertise I may have demonstrated while trying to stay in my own lane.

Oddly, my insistence to drive was always prefaced by, "I hate drunk drivers, so I'm doing my part by keeping this one off the road." If there is one mitigating factor here, it's that I always felt the most sober...the truth is more along the lines that my tolerance was some sort of legend and that I simply had slightly better coordination than my buddies or date, all of whom were in various stages of falling on their butts.

It's amazing how much risk I posed, all the while being convinced that I was doing the responsible thing! I swear, there a few instant-stupid elixirs like alcohol. No matter how formally educated, otherwise even-keeled, responsible, or rational you may be...alcohol instantly robs you of those things. So while getting smashed and doing the same to your car (twice) might otherwise make me angry (and a hypocrite), I recognize that you're probably a decent person when your blood isn't pumping stupid juice through your body.

Good luck with the courts! I dated a girl who evaded jail after a THIRD DUI. However, for some reason it was charged as a second offense. I'm unsure what her lawyer did to fanangle that sort of treatment. At any rate, she did not escape the insane fines, a ton of community service, and subsequently ridiculous insurance rates. But she did evade jail. Apparently the threat was real enough as she has not had a DUI in five years and, as far as I know, has managed to be the rare alcoholic who can successfully moderate as opposed to quitting. Obviously, I cannot recommend that over total abstinence; just telling a story, here.

Best of luck to you!

To make matters even more perplexing, I'm a huge motorcycle fanatic. If my riding buddies ever found out that I have driven a vehicle drunk, I'd be disowned.