Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
littlebird77

I am going though the same thing right now. I do not trust my recovering ABF to get more then this studio apartment I live in. I could never imagine myself being in a situation where I needed his help with the bills. So I live how I can afford. It makes me question if this is a lifestyle I really want. He tells me that he will help, but he never does and I never trust him to.

Originally Posted by outonalimb View Post

He often asks me what it will take for me to feel comfortable and safe enough to remarry him. And honesly, I don't know if I'll ever reach that point. I own a home (in my name only) that I can afford on my own. I completely restructured my life so that I wouldn't have to rely on my ex for anything financially and this arrangement has been critical to my recovery and my peace of mind.

In my case, I can't see surrendering my financial freedom to anyone ever again. If I continue on with my exah or move on to a different relationship, for me, its key that I stand alone financially. I'll never have another joint account. I"ll never enter into debt that I would have to rely on someone else to help me with. I don't care who it is...my exah or someone else. Financial independence is critical to my well being after the hell I went thru.

I think reclaiming our financial independence is a very legitimate and many times necessary part of our recovery. If/once we can achieve it, we can make the emotional decisions for the right reasons...not out of fear...or anger...or anything other than whats right for US.